Saturday, June 27, 2009

Remember the Time

For most people my age he was known as Wacko-Jacko, that crazy guy who couldn't stop touching his crouch or little boys. But for me and a selected few, he was someone to admire. Granted the past 10-15 years of his life has been shadowed by controversy, uncertainty and in one way or another, shame. True fans of his music were able to separate the controversy from his music.

But when you actually start asking deeper questions surrounding Michael, you find yourself stunned on what the King of Pop has gone through. An abusive father, lack of childhood, constant demeaning remarks regarding his noise (why it was altered more than Mark Sanford's travel arrangements... Hi-YO!) demanding tour schedule and saturated media coverage, Michael went through more than anyone could ever imagine. All of this caused major emotional, physical and psychological problems which *in my view* never allowed him to mature to adulthood, a true Peter Pan syndrome. If you are uncertain on what i am talking about, read the ORIGINAL Peter Pan and research
J.M. Barrie (see Bob, i do listen to you... sometimes). Again, I'm not defending his antics, I'm just showing empathy... something which most people forgot how to do.

There is nobody who has been larger in pop culture than MJ, and nobody has had more influence on current artists than the King of Pop (damn you Fall Out Boy, i still hate you for what you did to Beat It). Michael has not only transcended cultures, but race and age. I don't know if you ever seen fans across the world, but wow, talk about a cluster fuck of cultures. My mother went to his concert when she was 12, my sister couldn't settle down unless we played Off the Wall, and i was always looked as in an odd manor when i blasted the Thriller album instead of the random, always similar, popular cock rock band of the time.

Many of you reading this right now are shaking your head, unable to phantom why someone would be so invested in a singer. That is the thing, Michael was an artist (the amount of artists which have either mimicked or out right stolen his style *I'm looking at you Usher and Ne-Yo* is ridiculous), something which the majority of popular music lacks for the past 20 years. *you damn kids with your MTV, hip hop and mp3 players*


From watching my sister dance to
"Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" to watching the Thriller video every Halloween to laughing hysterically at my friend Thomas while he performed Beat It on stage at freshman orientation to annoying all my friends by over playing Somebody is Watching Me during sophomore year, Michael Jackson has been apart of my life and am truly grateful.

I dare you to watch THIS or THAT and not either smile or just feel better about life in general.

Michael, you will be missed *drops mic*

4 comments:

  1. Dude...When I was a kid, my 2 fav. songs were Ice Ice Baby, and Black and white by MJ.

    MJ was really the reason I got into music. I look back, and that's when I had my first toy drums and guitar. I would set them up, put that song on repeat and just go to town.

    MJ will definitly be missed..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up listening to Michael Jackson (also Stevie Wonder). Off the wall, Thriller and Bad were constently played of my dads record player,as I attempted to do Michael Jackson dance moves (still can't).Michael Jacson will go down as one of my favorite artists.He brought so much to music throughout his years and his musical legacy is apart of music we all listen today

    wow my favorite song is really tough to decide as a little kid it was "Bad" ,but now its between "Billie Jean" and "Rock With you".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have feel nothing but the utmost respect towards the musician Michael Jackson... other PARTS of his life I will leave unTOUCHED (rimshot). All I really have to say is WOW. Way to crash the world on your way down. The media blitzkrieg that immediately followed his death was astounding and horrifying. That (kinda) brother crashed Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and practically all the other intertubes, not to mention he distracted Nancy Grace off of missing white chicks for like 11 consecutive minutes.

    Mad props, and peace out. He did as I will one day do....he went out in style, and brought the entire universe to a bloody screeching halt.

    -Brad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this must be a very difficult time for Andre, as you may recall from the Luckie Street Tribune's very first article when describing all of our members...

    "Andre Lecour -- A.K.A. 'The Drizzle.' Has a blog titled, "The Drizzolution." Was once groped by Michael Jackson."

    I'm sure your butthole feels a little sadness today (along with a few hamsters)

    ReplyDelete