Friday, April 9, 2010

Remembering a Fallen Friend:Lt. Robert Collins

With a heavy heart I write this to pay my respect to LT. Robert Collins who was killed in Iraq yesterday.Robert was not just a great soldier he was a great friend who I grew up with throughout Middle school, High School and beyond.Even though we did not talk as much as we use to, I still felt that we were still good friends. I Originally met Robert back in six grade, I was the chubby new kid only living in Fayetteville for about a year at that time. Robert was always a joker even within the first ten minutes on meeting him he made me laugh. When everyone was giving me a hard time with my Braces and the claw attached to it (its a long story) he was there to give me support even though he only knew me for only a few months.That is who Robert was a guy that was compassionate and at the same time had a great sense of humor that could not be matched.

We became closer friends as time grew on going from middle school to High School, were we played high school football together(for a short while).Robert was a man of small stature but with a huge heart and what ever Robert did he would put 100 percent effort . When we played together as defensive tackles ,Robert had a motor that was constantly running. He would face off with Kedric Golston(future NFL player) in practice even if he was out sized by about 60 plus pounds and being thrown around like a rag doll he would still give his all and was a good player. That effort was put into everything he did , I always wished I had the same amount of energy he had. Robert would always be there for people when they needed help, be it in class, personal life or just to give someone a laugh to make them feel better. When I was at my lowest of lows Robert would be there for support.Also was concerned and supportive to my mom with her health problems.I have to mention Robert's girlfriend Nicolle.Nicolle I feel for her because she is one of the kindest people I have ever met and something like this should never happen to her.Robert and Nicolle were a great couple who had a great sense of camaraderie and respect for one another. I send my prayers to Nicolle and her Family and the Collin's Family.

I may have not scene Robert in action but I know he was a great soldier and probably gave his fellow soldiers a great amount of respect and a good laugh as he did for us civilians. I thank Robert ,every person who has served with him and all soldiers for there service for this Country.Even if Robert and I might have had political differences and view points in life we were always civil and very respectful to one another. Robert will be missed and he will be in my memories forever, for being a great person,a great boyfriend and a great soldier. My prayers also go out to PFC Anthony Blount family and to everyone else who was hurt in this terrible act of Violence.

I wouldn't want to leave off in a somber note, it would not be Robert's style. Humor was a very powerful tool for Robert he would light up the room with his humor.There are hundreds of moments I could mention but I will just name a few. Robert knew all of the lyrics to Rappers Delight I really don't know how but he did!!He rapped almost the whole thing in front of a movie theater in his truck with the stereo at full volume and had dozens of people watching him as I am laughing in the passenger seat. That was his style.Another memory was that of the return of Red and Yellow Hulk hogan. The next day in school Robert was wearing the whole hogan get up the bandanna the reseeding hair line the shirt and was playing this song constantly in the lunch room. Robert you were truly a one of a kind.

Rest In Peace Robert Collins.




No comments:

Post a Comment