Thursday, March 12, 2009

No One Lives Forever and F.E.A.R 2

Fear 2:Project Origin is a First Person Shooter made by Monolith Studios which revolves around paranormal and action elements if you want to know more information checkout the single player review by Garnett Lee of 1up.com I played the original fear over a year ago on the xbox360 overall it was fun but at times repetitive and the A.I was very challenging but not so hard that you wanted to throw the controller(by the way I have not thrown a controler for awhile). I would love to play this game and see how it is, but knowing that my Computer will explode due to the system requirements it will not happen anytime soon. So I played the demo and it is still a very confident shooter that does not seem to break the mold.

But overall from what I have seen and heard from various podcasts(RebelFm,ListenUp!)that it is a very well done game. Monolith the developer of Fear 2 created one of my favorite games of all time No one lives Forever 2. Which also was a First Person Shooter but had a balance between shooter and stealth which is very rare in today's gaming market.No one Lives forever was also different because of the setting during the cold war sixties and the female protagonist Cate Archer.Cate Archer was a strong female character that did not fall into the Lara Croft trap of just sex appeal,Cate Archer seemed to be more of a complex character also playing her in a first person view and only seeing her in cut scenes helps.The game had a great since of humor and was set up to be an over the top ode to movies of the sixties.Also had a interesting weapons, my personal favorite the robot Kittie proximity mine which would chase the enemy before detonating.

No One Lives Forever 2 was released in 2002 and was left with several plot holes opened, but I am not sure Monolith will return to this game due to its modest sales.It would be a shame to leave the game that way because I see the potential of the game working well around the current game engine Monolith uses for fear(More color then Black, Grey and Red). But put more elements of stealth and the adaptive A.I would make a pretty interesting game-play experience.Also there should be at least one lighthearted shooter on the market that does not take it's self to serious. To be honest I am starting to get fatigued with dark and dreary shooters that flood the market right now. I know it is highly unlikely Monolith will make a sequel to No One Lives Forever series but I hope Monolith changes there minds someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment